Friday, August 3, 2012

Don't forget to Exfoliate!!

Exfoliating is one of the most important steps in skin care. Exfoliating helps remove dead skin cells that build up on the skin, which gives the skin a dull appearance. Exfoliating also helps to smooth out rough patches on the skin, unclog pores, and help fade acne scars.

There are a few different types of exfoliants, such as a scrub, a gel or cream that is left on the skin, a mask that is rinsed off, exfoliating pads, and serums.

I just want to take some time out to discuss the importance of using sunscreen while exfoliating. SPF 30 is recommended in your moisturizer. Exfoliating works to remove dead skin cells in order to show new brighter skin. The new skin must be protected with sunscreen or all the exfoliating is pointless. The best example I can give to best visualize this is, if you remove the skin of an apple the flesh (the part we eat) starts to turn brown. Now, if you leave it in the sun it starts to shrivel up and darken even faster. Think of this happening to your skin, of course the apple oxidizes much faster than our skin would. Sunscreen is the barrier you need to protect your new skin!

I recommend exfoliating 3-5 nights out of the week. This is if you are using a scrub or exfoliating pads (which also depends on the instructions from the company). If you are going to use a exfoliating mask, gel or cream, or serum, I recommend using it 2-3 nights out of the week (also depends on the companies instructions).

When looking for a scrub, it's best to find one with refined beads as to not irritate the skin. Also you want to use gentle circular motions when applying it.

If you want to use a gel, cream, or mask exfoliant it is best to find one with AHA or BHA in it.

My next blog I will recommend products as well as a great home made exfoliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment on my blog! I will reply as soon as I can!

If you have a blog and you follow me, please let me know and I will follow back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...